Testing employees hearing levels at regular intervals is not only a legal requirement, but helps to protect employees from chronic hearing conditions (i.e. noise-induced hearing loss), which can have a significant negative impact on an employee’s quality of life. Lack of enforcement of workplace hearing testing can also mean employers are open to legal action should an employee suffer noise-induced hearing loss.
Do my employees need their hearing tested?
If employees are exposed to levels of noise that require them to wear hearing protection, then it is a legal requirement, set down by the Government’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) that hearing screening programs be enforced at regular intervals. Not only does this provide peace of mind for the employee that their welfare is being protected by their employer, but it also ensures that all legal procedures have been appropriately performed, preventing disagreements regarding working conditions and potential litigation in the future.
What is involved in workplace hearing tests?
Employee hearing tests will typically comply with BSA Surveillance Audiometry recommendations through including the following:
- Otoscopic examination (visually inspect of outer-ear health)
- Pure-tone audiometry (PTA) testing performed to British Society of Audiology Surveillance Audiometry 2017 (formerly Industrial Audiometry) recommended procedures
- Anonymised employee results
- Advice & referrals (for employees whose hearing is found to be impacted)
- Official report & plain-language summary
- Occupational health & hearing protection advice based on result
Our audiologists have years of experience delivering workplace hearing testing programmes for employers of all sizes, enabling them to provide an efficient and friendly service that meets all necessary HSE requirements.
Our unrivalled service includes free, expert advice for requirements and implementation of employee hearing tests and surveillance audiometry. Simply the use the contact form on this page, or call our offices, to chat about your employee hearing testing requirements with our friendly and knowledgeable team of acoustic consultants.